Open space strategy
Open space provides opportunities for active and passive recreation, biodiversity, conservation, carbon sequestration and water resource management whilst contributing to visual amenity and acting as a buffer between land uses.
The development of the Open Space Strategy ensures open space within the Town of Walkerville is accessible by all communities and will:
- Link, integrate and protect biodiversity assets and natural habitats,
- Provide linkages to encourage walking and cycling to local activity centres and regional centres
- Be multifunctional, multi sue and able to accommodate changing use over time,
- Incorporate Crime Through Environmental Design (CPTED) principles
The Open Space Strategy provides a framework for management, preservation and protection of our precious open spaces – for current and future generations.
The Open space strategy includes:
- An audit of open space assets in the Town of Walkerville.
- A review of Council’s and State Government’s strategic documents.
- Council’s demographic profile.
- A series of recommended future works relative to each of Council’s owned or managed open spaces.
A copy of the Open Space Strategy can be found on the link below.