Walkerville is situated adjacent to the north-eastern boundary of the City of Adelaide, and at that time its north-eastern outer boundary coincided roughly with the outer limits of metropolitan Adelaide.
The first settlement at Walkerville took place in 1838, when, after the area had been surveyed, Governor Hindmarsh sold his section 476 to a syndicate which in December of that year met with other landowners to discuss the development of the area. They decided that their village be named Walkerville after Captain John Walker, one of the property owners who later became a Police Commissioner.
In 1853 Walkerville was included in the original District Council of Yatala. It was severed from that Council and proclaimed the District Council of Walkerville on 5 July 1855, and at the time of the State's centenary in 1936 it had been a District Council for eighty-one years. Councillors were appointed and met on 11th July 1855 at the Sussex Arms (not the present building).
Council operated from a rented room in the hotel for over 30 years. Duties included responsibilities for law and order (until 1894 when a police officer was stationed in the district) and certain social services such as payment to the doctor for certain poor patients and granting rations to destitute families.
In August 1891, Council bought the land and raised a loan for the building following a poor response to an appeal for public subscriptions.
On 12th January 1893, the Foundation Stone was laid by G.A.C. Hawker, and a gala opening was on 1st June 1893. The town hall had much use for concerts, flower shows, church services, dancing classes and, for the period 1895-97, as a school. Since the early days a series of additions and renovations have catered for the cultural and social life of the community (for a long period the town hall was used as a picture theatre).
Over the years the character of Walkerville as a prestigious residential area has not changed greatly, but it can now more aptly be described as an inner city residential area in view of the extensive developments that have taken place towards the north-east. With commercial usage of the land confined mainly to Walkerville Terrace and North East Road, it's residential character has been strengthened, and the prevailing high land values confirm its attractiveness as a good residential area. It achieved Town status on 1 October 1944, but its small size suggests that it may never be proclaimed a City.
In 1970 the suburb of Vale Park petitioned for and was granted severance from the City of Enfield and annexation to the Town of Walkerville. This change, effective on 5 July 1970, boosted the population at that time by nearly 30 per cent. Added to the then existing wards - Walkerville, North Walkerville, Medindie, and Gilbert - Vale Park became a separate Ward of the Council. All Wards were represented by two Councillors: there were no Aldermen. Currently we now have three wards, Medindie/Gilbert Ward, Walkerville Ward and Vale Park Ward. Each ward is represented by three elected members.
Approximately 10 per cent of the dwelling units in the Municipality are owned by the South Australian Housing Trust, but the tenants are not the transient type and in many ways the Town still retains is village atmosphere. Many of the residents in Vale Park grew up in or had associations with the 'old Walkerville'.
In 1980 the Council celebrated its 125th year of existence, and the then Governor Keith Seaman, declared open the rebuilt, enlarged, and refurbished Town Hall, office, and library complex. This followed the transfer several years earlier of the works depot from the Town Hall site to a service area in Fuller Street, where a new modern depot was set up.
The present complex houses the library. Note the delightful courtyard garden and "The Sponge", a fountain sculpture by John Dowie donated by James and Diana Ramsay in 1980.
Council celebrated 150th years of existence in 2005.