Dogs are great companions and lifelong friends. Dog ownership is extremely rewarding and has also been associated with healthy living and overall life enjoyment.

The Dog and Cat Management Board oversee the administration and enforcement of the Dog and Cat Management Act, 1995 and new legislation was introduced on 1 July 2018.

Dogs and Cats Online (DACO) is a centralised database for South Australia to record and manage dog and cat registrations.

Owners can login online at any time and update contact details, the animal’s permanent or temporary location, record if a dog has passed away and to pay animal registrations.

  • All dogs must be registered by 3 months of age, or within 14 days of ownership.
  • Your cats information including microchipping details are required to be recorded into DACO.

For further information relating to the laws and regulations for dogs and cats, such as:

  1. Mandatory microchipping of dogs and cats by 3 months of age
  2. Mandatory desexing of dogs and cats born after 1 July 2018
  3. Breeding, Selling or Buying of dogs
  4. Assistance Dogs
  5. Dogs and Cats Online database (DACO)

Visit the Dog and Cat Management Board website: or Good Dog SA website have a flyer “Your dog and the Law

Caring for the environment

It is imperative, when exercising or walking your dog in a public place to carry and use the necessary equipment, to prevent environmental pollution by dog faeces.

It is an offence under the Dog and Cat Management Act, 1995 to not pick up after your dog.

Doggy Doo Bags

Doggy Doo bag Dispensers can be found along Linear Park and bags are available from the Council office.

Pet Friendly Venues

The RSPCA South Australia have developed an app to locate pet-friendly venues and locations in South Australia. For more information head to their website at

Dog Training and Behaviour Support

The RSPCA South Australia website is a useful resouce for information for dog training and behaviour support .  To view their page for force free training or trainers click here.

If you have never registered a dog or cat previously with Council, you can register as a “New owner” on Dogs and Cats Online at

You will need to select

1. Register

2. Owner: renew/register animals/ breeder registrations

3. Do you want to renew an animal registration (this includes renewing a breeder registration)? No

4.  Do you have a login email to DACO? NO / Im not sure

Enter your details to verify your identify.  Complete the mandatory fields

* If your details do not match an existing owner record you will have the option to click continue as new owner.

5.  Do you want to complete a microchip/desexing record for a puppy or kitten?

Yes, Complete Microchip/desexing record

If No - proceed to next question

6. Do you want to claim a transfer of ownership?

If YES – Complete the Ownership Transfer by entering transfer code and surname

If No You will be asked to register a new dog/cat?

enter in your personal details and follow the prompts.

If you have any questions regarding your dog or cat registration please don’t hesitate to contact the Town of Walkerville.

The Dog and Cat Management Board send out dog registration renewal notices to dog owners around the first week of July, each year.  The registration renewal notices will include information on how to pay for dog registration on-line through Dogs and Cats Online (DACO) website.

When you receive your renewal notice, you are encouraged to log on to DACO through their website and follow the prompts to self-manage your dog's information and pay the annual registration renewal fee.

Dog registrations are due by the 31 August each year, failure to pay by this date will incur a late fee.

Dog owners that do not have access to a computer can come into the Council Office, and our friendly Customer Experience Officers will be able to assist you to register your dog(s).

The Dog and Cat Management Board have created a range of easy reference guides (2020) to assist Owners, Breeders and Microchip implanters on how to use Dogs and Cats Online.

Annual Registraiton Renewal - go to

1. Select Register

2. Select Renew Registration

3. Enter your renewal code and surname (as provided on your Dog and Cat Registration Renewal Notice)

4. Check your personal Details are correct

Dog registration discs are no longer issued each year, when you register your dog for the first time, a unique identification number on a grey disc will be issued for the life of the dog.

You can order a replacement registration disc through for $10.00 or alternatively you may engrave the unique identification number onto a metal disc of your choice.

Anyone breeding dogs or cats for sale, must register as a breeder on Dogs and Cats Online (DACO) to obtain a unique DACO breeder registration number.

Dogs SA, FASA and Cat Fancy SA membership numbers will not be valid as breeder registration numbers—taking effect on 1 July 2020.

Once paid, breeder registration remains valid until 30 June each year. When breeder registrations expire, mandatory desexing laws may apply.


All dogs and cats born after 1 July 2018 must be desexed by six months of age, unless exempt.


  • The breeding animal’s owner is registered as a breeder on Dogs and Cats Online.
  • The animal’s owner is a member of Dogs SA, FASA, Cat Fancy SA.
  • The animal is a registered racing greyhound with Greyhound Racing SA.
  • The animal is a working dog.
  • The vet has exempted the animal for health reasons.

Once paid, breeder registration remains valid until 30 June each year. When breeder registrations expire, mandatory desexing laws may apply.


Dog and Cat Registration fees are listed in our Schedule of Fees and Charges.

A concession is available to persons who are holders of current:

  • DVA Gold Card
  • Pensioner Card
  • Senior Health Care Card
  • Health Care Card.

When you log into your profile on DACO you can complete your concession details which will be automatically validated upon entry.

If you require Council to update your concession status, proof of concession will be required in hard copy to qualify for 50% discount.

Have you lost your pet and not sure where to start looking?

It can be very stressful when you find your dog is missing,  here are some tips to undertake in the first instance.

  • notify your local council
  • Contact your local veterinary clinic and animal shelters such as AWL 8348 1300 and the RSPCA 1300 477 722
  • Visit the Lost Pets of South Australia and the Lost Dogs of Adelaide Facebook pages
  • Check your local area and speak with your neighbours.

When a dog is found wandering at large or a member of the community reports a lost dog, The Town of Walkerville Community Safety Officer will attempt to contact owners where the dog is registered on However, if contact is not achieved the dog/s picked up will be taken to the Animal Welfare League Kennels at 1-19 Cormack Road, Wingfield.

Owners can be reunited with a lost dog by providing the appropriate identification and paying the required fees to Town of Walkerville, unregistered dogs must also be registered, prior to collection of the dog from the Animal Welfare League.

Animals impounded at the Animal Welfare League will be held for 72 hours awaiting reclamation from their owner. After this period they are assessed by the Animal Welfare League to determine their suitability for re-homing.


Dogs impounded by the Town of Walkerville will be posted on the AWL website.  To view photographs of dogs at the AWL, please visit their website at

All enquiries regarding lost dogs in the first instance should be directed to the Town of Walkerville on 8342 7100.

For after-hours enquiries an answering service operates between 5pm and 9am Monday-Friday, on weekends and public holidays.

As dogs may also be picked up by officers from neighbouring Councils, or a member of the public and taken to the Animal Welfare League, dog owners may also wish to contact the Animal Welfare League direct on 8348 1300.  Opening times can be found on their website

Council's By Law No 5 - Dogs sets out the number of dogs that can be kept on any premises with in the Town of Walkerville council area. If you wish to have more than 1 dog in a small property or 2 dogs on a large property then you will need to complete an Application to Keep more than the prescribed number of dogs. Fees apply to keep more than 2 dogs, please refer to Council’s Fees and charges Schedule.

What to do after a dog attack?

1. Seek medical assistance if you have been bitten or injured

2. Seek veterinary treatment if your dog has been bitten or injured

3. When safe, report the indent as soon as possible to Council by phoning our Community Safety Officer on 8342 7100 or 0477 996 060

4. Let our Officer know if the dog is still wandering at large and still poses a risk to others.

5. Important Information to obtain when reporting the attack:

  • The date, time and exact location of the attack
  • A description of the offending dog - identification or registration disc / breed / colour / sex / markings / collar
  • A description of the owner - identification / name / address / contact phone number / male or female / age / hair colour
  • If a car was involved and the offender drove away with the dog - car registration number / make / model / colour
  • A description and photographs of any injuries and location on your body or your pet's body.
  • You should also keep copies of any medical certificates/vet or doctor bills as evidence.

Depending on the severity of the attack, councils can:

  • issue a warning
  • impose an on the spot fine of $315
  • take direct court action (in more serious cases)
  • impose a control order (Nuisance, Dangerous Dog, Menacing Dog, or Destruction Order)
  • The maximum penalty for a dog attack is $2,500 ($5000 prescribed breeds)